Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"The Girl who swims in the cold"

It’s December already?! I can’t believe how fast time is flying by. I’ve only got 7 more months left in Swaziland and I’m not sure if I’ll be ready to leave yet.

So once again, we had the wonderful opportunity to celebrate Thanksgiving at the U.S. Ambassador, Mr. Earl Irving’s house. My family has never been one to fully celebrate Thanksgiving with the intensity that most mainlanders do. This was never a problem since I didn’t know what I was missing out on, but the ambassador has outright SPOILED me. Multiple tables filled with the largest array of dishes with as much as you could possibly eat. Out on the patio there was a drink station with tubs filled to the brim containing juice, bottled water and alcoholic beverages- as much as you could drink. Held up in the Peace Corps (or perhaps it’s just my personal) tradition, was swimming in the pool. A friend and I were the only ones crazy enough to jump into the water in the cold rain. After swimming we joined the rest of the group for the President’s Thanksgiving speech, prayer, and the ambassador’s speech. After changing out of my bathing suit, I briefly talked to Mr. Irving and he not only knew my name but called me the “girl who swims in the cold”. Obviously, I felt pretty special. Following the feast there was a large amount of food and drinks leftover. It is in the Swazi culture to bring plastic bags or containers to any event and take away anything remaining. Let me say, we have very successfully integrated. PCVs began pulling out Tupperware, Ziploc bags, and plastic bags and began raiding the kitchen. People watched amusingly as we filled our pockets, bags, and clothing with food and beer and unabashedly left the ambassador’s house.

I will never forget these past 2 years and the kindness Mr. Irving has shown to us poor, semi-disgusting PCVs. He has opened his house, let us use his pool and showers, and offered us endless amounts of food and drinks. No Thanksgiving will ever come close to the time I’ve spent here. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment