Monday, June 11, 2012

Life Lately

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of events.

Swaziland is home to one of Southern Africa's best international festivals: BUSHFIRE. The music festival took place on May 25-27 at House of Fire. My friends and I got there early, set up our tents, and prepared for a weekend of music, food, and fun! Though the music line up wasn't as spectacular as last years, it was definitely a better time.

Following Bushfire, I had my Close Of Service (COS) Conference. It was 3 days of learning what needs to happen before I leave Swaziland, how hard the transition will be back to America, choosing my "official" departure date, researching my ticket home, reminiscing over the past 2 years and saying goodbye. It was exactly what we needed.

Then on June 6th a friend and I went to Johannesburg to take the GRE. Let's just say we may have gone overboard on our excitement to see a mall, McDonalds, a food court, and a movie theatre. We may have gone straight to McDonalds upon entering Jozi and watched a double feature of Hunger Games and The Avengers in 3D, which Swaziland has been promising to show for the past month but hasn't. When booking our stay at the hostel through hostelworld.com, it said that the dorms were taken so we decided to camp. Unfortunately it's winter now and Joburg was freezing! We ended up wraped in all of our clothing, shivering all night, and getting little-no sleep.

Upon returning to Swaziland we went on a shopping spree to pick up gifts for family (and mainly for myself) to send home. Then following this, I have my COS Medical examinations, where I spent 3 days getting poked, prodded, chest x-rays and pooping in a cup. YAY for Peace Corps and yay for being healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment