Sunday, February 12, 2012

2 libraries; donate ARTS & CRAFTS supplies to African children

In the past few months I have been getting more and more involved with my high school. From teaching classes, helping set up and run the computers, installing Wikipedia, and working with the teachers and students, I have come to LOVE and ADORE my high school. The headmaster and deputy are wonderful, kind, dedicated, and passionate people. They are at school from 7am-5pm (sometimes even until 6pm or 7pm) daily. On top of being administratively in charge of the school, they are also teachers- in charge of their own classes/subjects. Despite their long and exhaustive days at school, they are always welcoming, happy and receptive to anyone offering help to their school. The opposite might be said about one of my primary schools. Perhaps I’ve just spent too much time with them and now they are taking all I do for granted but I no longer look forward to going there. It got to the point where I was contemplating taking their library and offering it to the high school. But that would go against what PC is about, and not to mention-plain cruel. So when I heard that a school dropped out of the Books for Swaziland project because they couldn’t raise the money, I jumped into their conversation.

Eric: “What are we going to do now? That messes up the financial breakdown”
Me: “Are you talking about the school that dropped out? That sucks. Sorry to hear that.” Pause. “So…If you need another school, and want the money now now, my high school would LOVE to be chosen. I’m sure they are highly interested, and I would be more than willing to pay the money NOW. Let’s go to town.” (It should be stated that I have never actually approached my high school to ask if they wanted to expand their current library. I just assumed. Mainly though, I desperately wanted to work with them and offer this wonderful opportunity.)
Eric: “Woah. Shauna. Thanks, but we have a waiting list of schools.”
Me: “I know, but if you’re looking for money right now, I’m your girl.”
Eric: “Ok.”
Me: “So, I get the library?”
Eric: “Nope. I’ll talk it over with the others (those in charge of the Books for Swaziland project) and we’ll decide the course of action.”
Me: “Dang. Well, I’m always here. With the money. Just in case.”

-1 week later-

Eric calls while I’m on public transport to teach swim lessons. The annoyingly terrible Swazi gospel music is blasting and I am unable to hear a word that is spoken. I hang up. 20 minutes later, I call back.

Eric: “Yo. Your school still interested in a library?”
Me: “OMG YES. YES THEY ARE!” (I am now yelling and running around in a circle with excitement. Also- I have not asked my school)
Eric: “Ok. Just get the money to us asap.”
Me: “DONE, DONE, DONE!” (I proceed to talk fast and ask a lot of questions)

As soon as I stopped panting from the ridiculous hill I just sprinted up, I called my headmaster. After spending a few minutes on the phone explaining the project, he jumped on board. I knew he’d be as excited as I was! Well maybe not AS excited, but he could definitely relate.

So, NOW I HAVE 2 SCHOOLS getting libraries! Whoohoo! As I have mentioned in a previous blog post, there will be a chance for you to send any library materials (i.e. construction paper, scissors, markers, pens, pencils, paint, crayons, beads, etc.) to the Books for Africa warehouse in America, which will then be included in the cargo ship and given directly to my primary and high school. Though we finally have the address (written below), we are told not to mail anything yet. Books for Africa informed us that we need to wait until our shipping container is chosen. From there, we will have a very short period of time to mail the library materials to be included into the shipping container. So please, please start collecting all those art and craft supplies around the house- unused, collecting dust, and taking up space- and send them to Swaziland where you will make hundreds upon hundreds of children in my community happy!

PCV Swaziland- Eric Hall
Books For Africa
2971 Olympic Industrial Dr. – SE, Suite B
Smyrna, GA 30080

Please put my name, PCV Shauna Biggs inside of the box. This will ensure that the wonderful supplies you send end up at my schools.

SIYABONGA (we thank you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment