Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Marula Festival 2012 Edition









In Northern HhoHho there’s a small but charming town named Buhleni. You’re sure to think you’re seeing an oasis when you set sight upon this beauty of a town for the first time. Situated about a half hour south of the Matsamo border, this weekend getaway offers an allure that only a town with both a bar AND a PEP store can offer. The aforementioned bar, gas station, and bus rank are the perfect places to have conversations with unintelligible Swazi men and not to be missed are the public toilets (pit latrines) which have overflowed and are no longer in service. Don’t drive too fast nor blink, for you just might miss this magic wonderland which would be a terrible shame since once a year this sleepy town awakens to become the social gathering place and highlight of its existence. Welcome to Buhleni!

King Mswati hosts the kickoff to the Marula Season with the Marula Festival in the Buhleni Royal Kraal. An event not to missed, Bo-Gogo (grandmothers) from ALL over Swaziland gather to drink, sleep, eat, drink, dance, sing, offer their marula to the king and drink some more. Last year I was ill prepared for such an event and though, for the most part, I found it fun and entertaining I did not enjoy the endless harassment received from the drunken men. This year things were different.

Not only did I know what to expect, but after living here for almost 2 years, I am more than happy to yell at inappropriate and disgusting men to teach them lessons on how to respect women and not treat them like dogs or as their own personal servants. I am no longer fearful of their opinions of me nor timid in my responses and it has SIGNIFICANTLY improved my entire service. Another reason why I enjoyed the festival significantly more this year than last? I had my Swazi friends with me and many people from my community there. These men and women introduced me to others, they protected me and they danced with me. It was wonderful to see them in a different setting. And last but certainly not least, I was prepared with marula of my own. It made for a more entertaining and relaxing day!

In the midst of drinking, dancing, and socializing, we also made sure we did our job as Peace Corps Volunteers. 9 of my fellow PCVs came out and we passed out condoms, talked about safe sex, had discussions on living and being healthy, etc. It’s amazing how easy and wonderfully rewarding it can be to talk about our work here in Swaziland, all while experiencing and participating in cultural events. I LOVE my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment