Saturday, March 10, 2012

White Water Rafting and Crocodiles!






About two weeks ago my wonderful PC buddies, Mia and Kelly, decided to go on a white water rafting adventure with me. We were meeting up with some of their friends who are volunteering with the World Race and were stopping in Swaziland for a month. A perfect excuse to get out of the hut and do something fun!

Having only white water rafted once before, we were slightly apprehensive having to be our own guides in our own boats, in a river with crocodiles in them. Kelly, who does not know how amazing of a steer-er I am, opted out of being my partner. By default Mia was stuck with me.

Trouble started in the beginning. We couldn't get out of the sandbar. Then, due to my wonderful skills, I'd direct us into rocks, boulders, and reeds. Very talented, I know. But we eventually got the hang of it and started "Stand Up Paddling" in the calmer parts and oddly enough, we realized we were way more coordinated paddling backwards into the rapids than forward. Yup. Again I repeat, that talented!

Mia and I had successfully stayed in the boat throughout the first half and the guides made it a mission to "tip us over". They succeeded twice. The first was shallow waters so we hopped right back in. The second time it was deep and we couldn't hoist ourselves up. We floated on down until we reached a bank. Sometime before this, we spotted a small croc cruising on up the river. Just what you want lingering in the back of your mind. Stuck in the water and there's crocs watching you!

We made it out alive and in tact. All in all it was a very successful and wonderful adventure! Now it's just a countdown until the next big adventure: Caving.

1 comment:

  1. that water looks nothing close to white! hahaha! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete