Friday, April 13, 2012

Be Faithful

As I had mentioned in a previous post I’m conducting a health awareness campaign by painting buildings in my community with health messages alongside poetry written by students in the area, addressing the issues surrounding HIV/AIDS in Swaziland. I was fortunate enough to have two Peace Corps Volunteers come out for two days and help me in this endeavor. The results were better than anything I could have asked for or possibly imagine.

Mia at work!



Many friends in the community came and helped out! My wonderful counterpart, Khombi, helped in wording the message.

Khombi and I on the ladder.

The children during their school breaks and after school came out and helped us paint, as well as the nurses from my clinic and the school teachers.



Eric playing with the pre-schoolers!

At the end of Day 1! Almost there!

Bucket bathing.

Day 2: Finished!


Photo time: "Shoot me, Shoot me!"


Completed mural.


Here's a little background on this project, my intentions, and why I believe this mural is important and groundbreaking for my community. My area is very rural and sexual education is not addressed. It is avoided by all means. Even the high school cannot talk about said issues due to the backlash received from parents. The parents complain that by talking about sex, how to protect themselves from contracting STIs and HIV, and about the ABC’s that they are encouraging their children to practice risky and promiscuous behavior. Two things can be said about this. First, their “children” in high school are usually in their 20’s. Half of my form 5 (senior) class is older than me. I have also taught “children” in grade 7-10 who were 22-26 years old. There is no age limit and it all depends on if the children are able to pass their classes and most importantly, if they are able to pay for their school fees. At this age they are no longer children and in fact are adults and have been engaging in sexual behaviors for years, as do most young adults around the world. Secondly, the high school dropout rate due to pregnancy is mind-blowing. My form 5 high school class started out with 36 students in form 1 (grade 8) and are down to 15. When asked the reasons why, they say for different reasons. Some couldn’t pay for school fees, others moved, some for various circumstances, but most, they say, were due to pregnancy. The headmaster at my high school is doing his best to address and combat the issues surrounding teen pregnancy which ultimately leads to high school drop out and getting married at a young age, but it’s hard fighting an issue without being able to teach them about their options.

All of this to say that sex remains a taboo topic. Our painting (which was copied and adapted from a painting done in another PCV community) is in the community center. People passing to/from the clinic, going to school, getting transportation, going to/from South Africa, and those wanting to buy something from the sitolo (local store), are required to pass this mural and the poems addressing HIV/AIDS and stigmatism. During the painting and the weeks that followed, we received A LOT of feedback more negative than positive. Many parents and teachers were concerned that the children would imitate the picture and start practicing kissing. BUT, where there were negative comments there was always someone present to speak positively about it and address the issues at hand. And over the last couple of weeks I have been able to hear the gossip, what people feel towards the mural and why. It’s controversial and it’s exactly what I wanted!! It’s bringing issues to the surface and it’s forcing parents, teachers, friends, and adults in the community to address what they have been burying for too long.

The phrase: “Yetsembeka kuloyo lotsandzana naye: Tivikele, Umvikele, Titsandze” means "Be faithful to the one you love: Protect himself/herself, protect yourself, and love yourself." The message being: BE FAITHFUL, protect yourself and protect the one you love. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment