Friday, June 25, 2010

When sleep doesn't come easily...

It's 2:30 am on June 26th. I can't sleep mostly due to jet lag (it's around 8:30 in hawaii) and excitement/nervousness. In our ridiculously long meeting today, we discussed many important and crazy things and I can't express how incredibly excited I'm getting for what's to come! The only thing I wish I could bypass is the next 17 hours of flying and two days of travel (which isn't including the last 2 days of traveling I've had as well...) On the brighter side, I met all 37 of my fellow Swaziland Peace Corps Volunteers and they are fantastic! What surprised me most, was that we have 5 Returned Peace Corps Volunteers in our group! That means that 5 people have had such a valuable and life changing experience have decided to return. They all said that it was the absolute hardest thing they have ever done in their life, but also the most rewarding. I hope I walk away with that same experience. This gives me hope that I may come back one day to do this again :) What completed the night was eating sushi (for my last dinner in the U.S.) and getting a better understanding of African cultures. A fellow trainee is from Kenya and she gave me great insight into what to expect. Despite the "rural" living conditions we are most likely going to endure, I am SOOO excited to be apart of something bigger and better and I pray that God will use me to make some difference, however small it may actually be.

My love,

Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment