Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Goodbyes Are The Hardest Part

The sound of a vehicle was approaching my homestead.I took a deep breathe, closed my eyes, and smiled at all the memories of the past 2 years- both good and bad. Happy to be moving on, sad to be saying goodbye.The car came to a stop outside my hut. It was time to leave. My host mother and sister were sitting inside their house watching from their window as I packed the last 2 years of my life in the back of a car, and  they refused to come out. I had just spent the last hour saying thank you and goodbye, exchanging gifts, shedding tears, and laying hugs and kisses on them. I entered the car, gave one last look at my hut, my homestead, and waved goodbye to no one. And to everyone.

My days as a Peace Corps Volunteer in rural Swaziland were now officially over.

It was just Bongani (the PC driver) and I. We drove through my village, shopping town, and major cities for the last time. I mentally said my goodbyes and tried to hide my excitement for my future and what the next 5 months would bring. After being picked up from site, the following three days were spent "exiting" PC: closing out my bank account, getting signatures, having interviews, shipping boxes home, and saying a goodbye.

On Friday, July 27, 2012, Katie, AnnaMae, Joe and I rang out. Ringing out is a ceremony to celebrate our service and a chance to say goodbye to the staff and PCVs who we have served with. I had been given a heartwarming and thoughtful card by my amazing friends Mia and Kelly, and as we left on Saturday, all of our friends came outside, formed a line and started doing "the wave". Tears formed in my eyes and AnnaMae and I were deeply moved by the kindness and love shown on behalf of all of our friends. We've been through so much together- changed, grown, loved, laughed, cried, vented, fought, shared the highest of highs and the lowest of lows with one another. We have shared this unique, once in a lifetime experience with each other and there will always be this to bond us no matter how different we may be. So saying goodbye to the closest friendships formed was that much more difficult. But the RPCV world is small and I know our paths will cross again one day soon.

 And so begins the adventures of a nomad.


No comments:

Post a Comment